Forget the deep fried variety of fritters, those things clog up your arteries. Here's a healthier pan fried option of Sweet Potato & Zucchini Fritters.
I like pairing these up with a fresh salad, however the boys in my family put these in a sandwich. Whichever way you eat these, prepare a big batch to enjoy the left overs for either dinner of lunch.
I get a deep satisfaction when pan frying fritters, kinda like the way pancakes can do this too; placing the wet batter into a pan and a few minutes later the result is something so tasty.
What are fritters?
Fritters can be found across the globe in many cultures, they are comprised of batter that has been stuffed or mixed with savoury or sweet fillings.
Tips for making fritters
- Once pan-fried, place fritters on a plate that has been lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil
- Store fritters in a well seal container once completely cooled, otherwise they will turn soggy quickly
- Make each sweet potato & zucchini fritter not to thick, this will ensure it cooks through completely
How to make Sweet Potato & Zucchini Fritters
- Cannellini beans (canned or dried is fine)
- Boiled Sweet potato (I used the orange variety)
- Grated Zucchini
- Chopped shallots
- Wholemeal plain flour (all purpose flour is okay too)
- Chilli flakes, this is optional, but I love a bit of a kick
- Seasoning to taste
- Cooking oil, select your preference
Another favourite vegan stack
For another stackable sensation, here is healthy baked vegan hash browns. Made with sweet potato and potato.
My favourite two salads to enjoy with these fritters
Sweet Potato & Zucchini Fritters
- 400 g Cannellini beans
- 1 med Sweet potato peeled and boiled
- 1 med Zucchini grated
- 2 sprigs Shallots
- 1/4-1/2 cup Wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Seasoning to taste
- 1/4 cup Cooking oil select your preference
- Wash and peel sweet potato and then boil until cooked. Once cooked, drain and set aside
- Wash and grate zucchini, set aside
- Finely chop shallots, set aside
- In a mixing bowl, roughly mash cannellini beans and sweet potato
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well
- In a fry pan, heat up desired cooking oil.
- Once oil is hot enough, turn heat to medium and scoop out a spoonful of the mix into the pan and gently flatten into a pattie.
- Pan fry each pattie for a minute and then turn over to seal contents. Fry until golden brown which will roughly about 5 min turning over occasionally.
- Once golden brown, place fritter onto a paper towel lined plate to help soak excess oil
- Serve warm