Homemade crispy sweet potato chips are the bomb! Everyone loves crisps to snack on, so why not snack on the healthier version (as a bonus they are vegan). These sweet potato chips are both sweet and salty, a fabulous combination. I used the white variety of sweet potato, however the orange and the purple varieties are equally good.
How to make sweet potato chips
- Wash and dry sweet potato
- Slice up as evenly & thinly as possible, best to use a mandolin slicer. I use this Gefu slicer
- In a mixing bowl, add sweet potato, olive oil and salt and thoroughly mix all together until sweet potato is completely coated
- Place individual slices onto a lined baking tray
- Bake in the oven until golden brown
Tips when making these crisps
- Slices should be thin and not thick, around 2mm in thickness max
- Keep a close eye on the sweet potato slices whilst baking as some will bake faster than others.
- Pick out the baked ones and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Turn the slices over once or twice until golden brown.
- If you don't have a mandolin, try using a peeler. A really good (sharp) mandolin however will make the world of difference; they are faster to work with.
- Keep the oven as hot as possible
- Best eaten fresh
I hope you enjoy these crisps, they are great on their own or you could use them to dip into your favourite dip.
What to dip sweet potato chips in?
- Try my Baba Ghanouj (Eggplant Dip) With Mint, a smokey dip.
- Tomato salsa
- Sweet chilli sauce
My sweet potato chips are soggy
There could be a few reasons why this has happened;
- You didn't bake them long enough (under cooked)
- The oven function was set incorrectly,
- The slices were overlapped when placed on the tray to bake
- They were stored in a container (or covered) whilst warm creating condensation
- The chips aren't fresh anymore (best served immediately)
Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 Sweet potato large (any colour is fine)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil or your preferred oil
- 1-2 pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius (428 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Slice up your 🍠 sweet potato as evenly and thinly as possible
- Place sliced up sweet potato into a mixing bowl and add olive oil and salt and mix well, evenly coating sweet potato
- Line your baking tray with baking (parchment) paper
- Layout slices on lined tray - do not over lap any slices
- Bake in an oven until golden brown.
- Mandolin slicer