Oh hey turmeric semolina cake (Sfouf). Just look at the colour of this amazing sweet cake. Hailing from Lebanon, this cake called Sfouf in Arabic; it’s moist on the inside with crispy edges as they turn golden brown (I love eating the edges – nom nom). When serving this cake, consider serving without the edges (keep them for yourself to gobble up – it’s the moist inside that is prized) This is perfect to serve in the afternoon with some with cardamom coffee or tea.
The taste and texture of this cake is a winning situation really.
I’m a major fan of turmeric due to its magical benefits of inflammation reduction, colouring and so much more.
Have you ever made a cake with semolina? I’m curious to know, I am always on the hunt for learning new recipes.
What you’ll need for this Sfouf recipe:
- Fine Semolina (or mixture of coarse fine semolina)
- Self raising Flour
- Raw sugar
- Turmeric powder
- Plant milk
- Vegetable or olive Oil (I prefer olive)
- Pine Nuts or Almonds (for garnishing)
Turmeric Semolina Cake (Sfouf)
- 1/2 cup FineSemolina or 1/4 cup Coarse & 1/4 cup fine Semolina
- 1 1/2 cups Self raising Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Raw sugar
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 cup Plant milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup Vegetable or olive Oil (I prefer olive)
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 Handful Pine Nuts or Almonds to top.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Ready your cake tin (I used coconut spray to oil)
- In a large bowl, add the flour, semolina, turmeric and sugar and mix well using a whisk or mixer.
- Add the oil and milk, whisk well until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into oiled cake tin and top with the pine nuts or almonds.
- Bake for 40-60 min. Depends on oven. NB., edges will turn a gorgeous golden brown and inside will be bright yellow (edges are the best!)
- Allow cake to fully cooled, cut up into diamond shaped pieces.
- Enjoy your slice of turmeric cake
N.B., nutrition facts are an estimate based on closely matched ingredients.
Did you make this turmeric semolina cake? Tag #plantbasedfolk on Instagram.
Impress your friends and family and make PBF’s Stuffed Zucchini aka Kousa Mahshi