An Orange and Fennel Salad to refresh the palate. Great as an accompaniment or equally delicious on its own. I personally love to slurp the left over juice after gobbling up this salad.
What you'll need to make this Orange and Fennel Salad
- Fresh segments of oranges - segmenting any citrus fruit is the process of ridding all skin both outer and inner skin, and ensuring there are no pips left. The result; only orange flesh in segments are left over. With the excess orange pieces, squeeze these thoroughly into a mixing bowl and use this juice for the salad dressing
- White onion - I find these are the sweetest and best in this salad, you can however opt for red onion if you can't get your hands on white, thinly slice this up
- Fennel bulb - rid all the green parts (or you can use them in another dish if you wish) and use only the white bulb, slice thinly into bite size
- Fresh rocket (arugula)- any variety of rocket (arugula) will do
- Slivered almonds - you can put them in raw or you can dry toast them prior to mixing them in the salad. I have done both version and both taste good
- Olive oil - use extra virgin or any good quality olive oil, use enough to coat your salad
- Seasoning - to taste
What can I eat this Orange and Fennel Salad with?
This salad is great with pastries, fritters, savoury muffins or any savoury baked food. Try my Purslane Pockets (Lebanese Bakleh) these are crispy, tangy and very hard to stop at one. Or try this Ultimate Vegan Bagel Sandwich.
Proteins that go well with this salad
- Tempeh - I love eating it pan fried with this salad
- Nuts - whilst there are almonds in this salad, you can add other types too
Orange and Fennel Salad
- 2 Oranges segemented (keep juice)
- 1 Small fennel bulb sliced
- 2 Generous handfuls of rocket (arugula)
- 1/2 Medium white onion sliced
- 1 Handful slivered almonds
- 1 Seasoning to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Olive oil
Orange and Fennel Salad
- Segment oranges and place orange segments into a mixing bowl
- Squeeze remaining orange pieces into a separate bowl and set aside to make the dressing later
- Thinly slice fennel bulb and add to orange segments
- Thinly slice white onion and place into bowl with orange and fennel
- Prepare salad dressing
- Add almonds and rocket (arugula), pour dressing over salad, toss together coat all ingredients thoroughly and serve
Orange and Fennel Salad Dressing
- Using the juice from your left over parts of your oranges, combine with olive oil and seasoning.