Dalgona coffee is a whipped velvety coffee drink. This dalgona coffee recipe is made with minimal ingredients and in 3 easy steps.
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona whipped coffee is the South Korean drink that's recently gone viral. This delicious and inexpensive coffee drink only takes 3 ingredients (not including the boiling water) to whip up.
This coffee became an overnight sensation through TikTok via a woman named Hannah @imhannahcho however this whipped coffee has been around for decades, just ask your granny.
Drinking Dalgona coffee is the most amazing coffee experience, once I got over my first few sips. Initially the instant coffee bitterness hit me (insert my WTF face here), I realised I had to make a decision; whether to call it quits with this coffee drink or keep going and see if I can grow fond of it. I chose to keep going.
It's two layers; the top layer is the whipped coffee which is velvety & bitter and the bottom layer is the cold milk. I figured out the best way to drink this coffee was to mix up the two layers and create a thick cold coffee (scroll down to see a pic of this). I am glad I stuck it out as now I love it.
My son introduced me to this coffee, he whipped it up following the instructions he saw on Tiktok. I've since adjusted the measurements into something my taste buds like. I couldn't handle the amounts of coffee and sugar that was used.
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup milk (use your preference)
﹖How to make whipped Coffee
- In a bowl, place 1 tbsp of instant coffee, 1/2 tbsp raw sugar and 1.5 tbsp of boiling water
- Using either a hand held beater or whisk, whip up the ingredients until peaks form. If you can use an electric beater/mixer this would be ideal as it quickens the time and effort
- Pour your preferred milk into a cup (I used almond) and top with whipped coffee.
I like to stir mine, although it never seems to fully blend together, it still is a great drink, like smooth iced coffee minus the ice. Honestly, give it a go and get over the initial shock of the bitterness.
How long will dalgona coffee last?
I wanted to see how long the coffee whip will last once made, so I stored some in the fridge, sealed in a cup and snap lock bag. The next morning I found that the coffee had started (slightly) to seperate, but was still usable. I made myself a coffee with it and it taste the same. I wouldn't recommend storing more than a night in the fridge.
Dalgona Coffee (Whipped Coffee)
- 1 tbsp Instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Boiling Water
- 1 cup Milk use your preferred milk
- In a bowl, add coffee, sugar and boiling water
- Using a hand held beater (or whisk) whip up the ingredients until peaks form
- Pour your preferred milk into a cup and top with whipped coffee
What to eat with this whipped coffee beverage
The obvious foods are sweets, here are some of my favourites;
- These ANZAC Biscuits Vegan & Gluten Free are the best dunking companion for your freshly whipped dalgona coffee
- Try my Fugdy Vegan Brownies
- No Egg Choc Chip Muffins - fluffy and easy to make
- For a complete decadent experience go for my Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
- These naturally sweetened vegan Ginger Cookies are soft & chewy on the inside with a little bit of crunch on the outside
If you're looking for another type of whipped drink try this Blueberry Strawberry Matcha Latte. Or if you adore coffee, you should check out the coffee culture in Italy and this homemade cashew creamer recipe.