What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona whipped coffee is the South Korean drink that's gone viral. This delicious and inexpensive coffee drink only takes 3 ingredients (not including the boiling water) to whip up.
Drinking Dalgona coffee is the most amazing coffee experience, once I got over my first few sips. Initially the instant coffee bitterness hit me (insert my WTF face here), I realised I had to make a decision; whether to call it quits with this coffee drink or keep going and see if I can grow fond of it. I chose to keep going.
It's two layers; the top layer is the whipped coffee which is velvety & bitter and the bottom layer is the cold milk. I figured out the best way to drink this coffee was to mix up the two layers and create a thick cold coffee (scroll down to see a pic of this). I am glad I stuck it out as now I love it.
My son introduced me to this coffee, he whipped it up following the instructions he saw on Tiktok. I've since adjusted the measurements into something my taste buds like. I couldn't handle the amounts of coffee and sugar that was used.
This coffee became an overnight sensation through TikTok via a woman named Hannah @imhannahcho
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup milk (use your preference)
﹖How to make whipped Coffee
- In a bowl, place 1 tbsp of instant coffee, 1/2 tbsp raw sugar and 1.5 tbsp of boiling water
- Using either a hand held beater or whisk, whip up the ingredients until peaks form. If you can use an electric beater/mixer this would be ideal as it quickens the time and effort
- Pour your preferred milk into a cup (I used almond) and top with whipped coffee.
I like to stir mine, although it never seems to fully blend together, it still is a great drink, like smooth iced coffee minus the ice. Honestly, give it a go and get over the initial shock of the bitterness.
How long will dalgona coffee last?
I wanted to see how long the coffee whip will last once made, so I stored some in the fridge, sealed in a cup and snap lock bag. The next morning I found that the coffee had started (slightly) to seperate, but was still usable. I made myself a coffee with it and it taste the same. I wouldn't recommend storing more than a night in the fridge.
What to eat with this whipped coffee beverage
The obvious foods are sweets, these ANZAC Biscuits Vegan & Gluten Free are the best dunking companion for your freshly whipped dalgona coffee or try my Fugdy Vegan Brownies or my No Egg Choc Chip Muffins. For a complete decadent experience go for my Chocolate Zucchini Cake.
What do you like to enjoy with your whipped coffee?
Dalgona Coffee (Whipped Coffee)
- 1 tbsp Instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Boiling Water
- 1 cup Milk use your preferred milk
- In a bowl, add coffee, sugar and boiling water
- Using a hand held beater (or whisk) whip up the ingredients until peaks form
- Pour your preferred milk into a cup and top with whipped coffee