Within this listicle you'll find alternatives for vegan egg wash.
Traditionally when baking some recipes call for the use of egg wash. What is Egg wash? Egg wash is usually beaten egg + liquid (either milk or water) which is used to brush over bread doughs prior (think pies) to baking to achieve a gorgeous golden browning on the finished product.
The above picture is a great result of freshly baked vegan dinner rolls where I used coconut oil as an alternative to egg wash. The bread rolls came out golden brown and crispy on the outside.
So what are some alternatives vegan egg washes?
- Oils - various oils make a good substitute and result in nice browning. Oils such as vegetable, olive, coconut, rice, corn. For thicker oils, try thinning out with a little bit of water/milk mix in well.
- Milks - plant based milks such as almond, soy, oat and rice work well too. Try unsweetened versions as sugar browns when exposed to heat.
- Natural sweeteners - date syrup, agave nectar, carob syrup, molasses, golden syrup diluted (1:1 ratio) with water or vegan milk to avoid over browning.
- For a savoury type bread/dish - barbecue sauce diluted in water.
- Maple syrup - I list this one seperate to natural sweetener as it thinner in consistency and can be mixed with a little bit of plant milk instead (2:1 ratio)
- Aquafaba - the juice of chickpeas
Have you got a tried and tested alternative egg wash? Please share it in the comment section below.