Here's your new favourite comforting warm drink - Moringa Latte. It's healthy, creamy, packed with nutrients, amino acids and is caffeine free. This recipe is dairy-free too.
Want to give yourself an immunity boost? Meet Moringa powder which is versatile and can be used in a lot of recipes aside from a comforting latte. I love matcha, but right now, I am trying to avoid any caffeine, as it affects my adrenals. So when I came across Moringa I was elated it was caffeine free. Plus, I love a good 'alternative' latte - I am very exotic that way haha.
Side note: A few years ago, when I was in the quaint country town of Bowral, I ventured into a lovely cafe called the Bespoke Letterpress Cafe (always so busy!) and they had a few 'alternative' lattes, I tried a beetroot latte and turmeric latte for the first time there. Both were with almond milk and maple syrup. Since then, this is now how I normally drink my healthy latte drinks. It's easy and yummy this way.
Moringa is referred to as "Miracle Tree" due to its numerous health benefits and is on it's way up in popularity. Here's a list of questions you might be asking yourself;
The plant Moringa oleifera is native to North India and also grows in Asia, Africa, and South America. For thousands of centuries it has treated many medical conditions around the globe. Moringa is also known as horseradish tree, drumstick tree, or ben oil tree.
There are many benefits to consuming moringa, these include
- reduction of fatigue & tiredness
- helps hypertension
- lowers blood sugars
- assists with muscle growth (contains 22 amino acids)
- helps with inflammation reduction
- defends against viral fungal and bacterial infection
- can inhibit tumor growth and many more....
Health food stores, organic food stores or online. I prefer the Dhow brand, as they are "100% Guaranteed that there are no additives, bulk fillers or nasties... and is grown in an organic permaculture farm"
No the moringa plant contains no caffeine and isn't part of the tea family.
Aside from a latte, moringa powder is great in - smoothies, baking, juices, porridges and in voghurt (vegan yoghurt)
How to make moringa latte?
- 1 Cup Milk - I used almond milk - use what you prefer
- 1 tsp Moringa Powder
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup - or use your preferred sweetener
- Step one - Add milk to your milk frother - I just used my Nespresso frother* (if you don't have a frother you can heat up your preferred milk in a pot over the stove)
- Step two - Add moringa powder and maple syrup (you can add your preferred sweetener)
- Step three - Turn on your milk frother and allow to heat up. Once done, serve in your favourite mug!
- Moringa has a slight bitterness to it (think matcha), so if you're trying moringa for the first time, try starting with half a teaspoon and then working up from there. I found 1 teaspoon a good amount for a decent sized mug.
- If you prefer to reduce the amount of milk, mix the moringa powder with boiling water and then add your desired amount of milk
- If you'd like a caffeine hit too, combine 1/2 moringa & 1/2 matcha ratio to your latte
This moringa latte recipe is done in around five minutes. BOOM!
Looking for a vegan snack recipe to go with this moringa latte? Try these
- Fluffy no egg choc chip muffin recipe
- Energy boosting matcha bliss balls
- Yummy Healthy banana muffins with coconut
- Easy no bake granola bars
- 1 Cup Milk I used almond milk - use what your prefer
- 1 tsp Moringa Powder
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- Add milk to your milk frother
- Add moringa powder and maple syrup
- Turn on your milk frother and allow to heat up. Once done, serve in your favourite mug